Bret Michaels – Rock My World (2008, VH-1 Classic Records)
- Go That Far
- Start Again
- Songs Of Life
- Strange Sensation
- All I Ever Needed
- Menace To Society
- Right Now, Right Here
- It’s My Party (2008 mix)
Featured Musicians: Bret Michaels and studio musicians (see booklet for details, there are a ton!)
Producer: Bret Michaels
Total Time = 39:07
So what’s that old saying? “Strike while the iron is hot.”
That’s exactly what Poison frontman Bret Michaels has done. Hot on the heels of his successful television career with VH-1’s Rock Of Love & Rock Of Love 2, Bret has released a new solo album…..ROCK MY WORLD. My first impression of ROCK MY WORLD was that it would be a record full of new material but that’s not the case. In a move that screams “cashing in”, Bret has released an album of three new songs and nine previously released songs from previously released albums. Did everyone get that? Three songs are new, that’s it!
Let me run down that tracklisting:
- ‘Go That Far’ – new song that sounds like a cheap attempt to publicize his TV shows with childish lyrics.
- ‘Driven’ – originally released on FREEDOM OF SOUND (2005), this is a song about Bret sexing up a chick with more juvenile lyrics.
- ‘Fallen’ – ballad about looking for love with acoustic guitars and piano
- ‘Raine’ – song inspired by his daughter of same name, originally released on SONGS OF LIFE (2003), not a bad song.
- ‘Bittersweet’ – another off SONGS OF LIFE and has to be the worst song Bret has ever released, or at least in a tie with ‘Unskinny Bop’. Sounds like bad Blink 182 or Bowling For Soup with a terrible lyric about how his chick “sucked in the sack”.
- ‘Start Again’ – new song that was on a Rock Of Love 2 episode. It sounds like a good Poison ballad.
- ‘Songs Of Life’ – guess which album this came from! Sounds like a Poison outtake from FLESH & BLOOD (1990), he uses a couple song titles from the album in the lyrics.
- ‘Strange Sensation’ – another one from SONGS OF LIFE that’s trying too hard to be contemporary with the muddy sound and terrible vocals. Only thing going for it is the drum sound.
- ‘All I Ever Needed’ – Bret doing Country music with Jessica Andrews on vocals. It’s actually not that bad but it was released 3 years ago on FREEDOM OF SOUND so it’s not an original.
- ‘Menace To Society’ – 5th song from SONGS OF LIFE! It’s a rocker but not a good one! Another attempt at being modern and rebellious.
- ‘Right Now, Right Here’ – a heavier tune with decent guitar but it’s too little too late. Very late actually because this is from FREEDOM OF SOUND
- ‘It’s My Party’ (2008 mix) – OK, so this is a new recording of a song from SONGS OF LIFE so maybe it counts as a new track? Nope, because it doesn’t stray too much from the original.
Tale of the Tape = 3 new songs, 3 songs off FREEDOM OF SOUND, 6 songs from SONGS OF LIFE…..can anyone say “Rip-off”?
I pride myself on the fact that I have never actually seen any episodes of either season of Rock Of Love. I actually feel bad for the people who think it’s good television, how does crap like that get on television anyway? The question could also be asked of ROCK MY WORLD. Bret should be ashamed of himself for releasing what is basically a collection of previously material with three new nuggets for fans to chew on. It’s obvious that this was released to cater to the casual fan, fans of the Rock Of Love series, or Poison diehards that need the three new songs. For me, this was a waste of time.
Favorite songs: Of the three new songs, I liked ‘Start Again’ but I wouldn’t call it a favorite.